Ethics Reflection

Ethics Reflection

What does ECEBC see as important reasons to be trained in ethical practice?

The advertisement states that children are the most vulnerable groups in society, which I fully agree with. Because educators have such close relationships with these children, it is imperative that ethical decisions be made regarding their care. An educator could easily do harm to them by choosing unethical practices. It’s also important to make ethical choices when dealing with families to ensure the best decisions are being made. The Educators are responsible for both children and their families. Sometimes what a family sees one way, an educator my see another way, so it’s important to look at our own personal values and beliefs and be able to back up any issues that may arise with an ethical reason for that decision.

How is ECEBC advocating for me as a professional? What do you notice about the website? http://www.ecebc.ca

The main thing I noticed on the website is the Wage Grid Report. That is the first topic on the main page, which indicates that this is their most important issue at the moment. There are also a lot of updates regarding the bursary program, and how they have gone to the government to discuss the importance of quality childcare providers, and the crisis that is a lack of spaces available. After advocating for this, the government provided an additional $4 million for the education program. Along with those issues, they offer lots of professional development programs and workshops, as well as job postings. It is clear that ECEBC is focused on the Educator and getting the best trained people into the field, and having them paid accordingly!

General Thoughts and Reflection on Ethics

I believe that ethical practice is the backbone of quality in any profession. There can’t be trust, mutual respect, or professionalism without ethical decision making. When it comes to decisions that affect children and families, ethics becomes even more important. These are decisions that shape and change lives, and if we aren’t doing our absolute best to do what’s right by them, then we are in the wrong place. Parents and families put their trust into the people who care for their children for the day when they aren’t able to. It’s hard enough grappling with the choice to stay home with your child or drop them off with people who are strangers until you get to know them. Being able to assure the family that the child is in the best place they could be makes all the difference. I haven’t had any childcare ethical dilemmas, or responsibilities that I can think of, but in my current job I struggle with ethical decisions daily. My coworker tends to leave things undone that I (as someone who has a very high work ethic) would do. Other people I work with tell me to leave things the way he leaves them, and don’t worry about it. In my mind I’m thinking of my responsibility in this position, and if my boss showed up after leaving these things undone, simply because the guy before me did too what would he say. That doesn’t sit well with me. While it isn’t my job to clean up someone else’s mess or take on their responsibilities, it is my duty to make sure my own responsibilities are taken care of.