Professional Resource #1

Professional Resource #1

Journal: Supporting newcomers, culturally responsive practice and diverse child care

June 3, 2020 by Chris Lawson

The main focus of this journal is to provide resources for ECEs who want to educate themselves about diversity in their centres, supporting children and families who are new to Canada, and how to reflect on our own biases and implement a culturally responsive environment in their practice. I found this journal very informative and interesting. There are several articles to support each idea that is presented in the title. These articles are written by educators who have first-hand experience with such issues in their practice.

Article:

The Challenges of Cultural Competence Exploring the Impacts of Race, Culture and Identity on Early Childhood Educator Practice by Chanequa Cameron and Lyndsay Macdonald

https://www.cccf-fcsge.ca/wp-content/uploads/Challenges-of-Cultural-Competence-Fall-2015-En..pdf

The first article that stood out to me from this journal was The Challenges of Cultural Competence Exploring the Impacts of Race, Culture and Identity on Early Childhood Educator Practice by Chanequa Cameron and Lyndsay Macdonald. They discuss cultural competence, and what that means for ECEs in their practice. Every person is different and has underlying biases that they may not even be aware of, based on how they were raised, their own culture, and what values they hold. Cultural competence comes from acknowledging that these biases exist, and committing to ongoing reflection and education to open the mind and heart to new cultures and experiences. The article states that “cultural competence is not a given skill for every early childhood educator or child care worker, but rather an individual’s level of cultural competence depends on a number of professional characteristics such as educator beliefs. Becoming culturally competent is a continuous professional practice that requires intentional effort and development” (p. 5).

I found this article to be extremely relevant in the current political climate, with the uprising of minorities all over the world wanting to be seen, heard, and understood. It’s so important for children of all races to be treated as equals and to have their individual cultures valued and celebrated. This supports them to build up their self-esteem and sense of identity, and gives them permission to be proud of who they are and where their family comes from. The authors’ quote Obegi and Ritblatt (2005) who state that “culturally salient care provides children with a sense of security, belonging, and personal history” (p.1).

Growing up in a smaller town, there was very little diversity among my peers in school. I had one friend who wasn’t white, and she was not supported or celebrated as person with a unique culture or identity by both her peers and her teachers. She was bullied and made to feel as though she wasn’t as valued as the rest of the white people in school. It’s heartbreaking knowing that kids grow up in a society where this is a normal way to treat a human being. I am so happy and hopeful to see the world finally changing, and bringing to light all of the mistreatment of minorities, and so many people making a commitment to support those BIPOC.

Another important point that the authors make is that we become culturally competent by building respectful relationships over time by connecting with families and our community. It’s not something that is learned overnight, or by reading books, it’s in the everyday things we do, how we think, feel, understand and believe. The five points that they make regarding personal reflection support ECEs on their own path to cultural competence.

For me, personally, I have taken the steps to learn more about different cultures and how to put that knowledge to work in my practice going forward. The authors make a great point when they say that “far too often educators focus on teaching multiculturalism and diversity without first engaging in learning that ensures that they are themselves fully competent in the cultural aspects of the knowledge they seek to impart to their students.” It’s my responsibility as an educator to look inward and work on my own biases, and learn as much as I can before trying to teach multiculturalism to students. This article put into perspective that cultural competence is something that I have to seek out and actively engage in the learning process. It’s such an important aspect of childcare that it should be part of the education ECEs receive. The article points out that cultural education and competence is supported through training and professional development over a variety of professional sectors such as health care, immigration, and child and youth care, and so it should be for ECEs as well.

One comment

1. Juanita Phillips-Bell

Sheena I so enjoyed reading your article review on The Challenges of Cultural Competence Exploring the Impacts of Race. I then continued to read the article myself. The five elements of cultural competence found will most certainly guide us as early childhood educators. It is so important to recognize and understand as an educator before we teach our lessons to child.
    5. To work from a perspective that each situation and individual is different due to their unique experiences with culture, race and identity.